A chemical peel is a technique used to improve and smooth the texture of the skin. It is intended to remove the outermost layers of the skin. To accomplish this task, the chosen peel solution removes the superficial layer of your skin, providing deep exfoliation, removal of dead skin cells, thus resulting in a smoother, refreshed and rejuvenated skin texture.
Chemical peels can help in the treatment of skin conditions such as acne, scars, pigmentation, wrinkles and fine lines. At New Age Clinic We offer a wide range of different chemical peels tailored to your skin type and condition.
What does the treatment involve?
CONSULTATION: At the start of any Chemical Peel treatment a thorough consultation will take place, where our specialized dermatologist will examine your face and discuss with you your specific skin needs and concerns to determine which of the Chemical peels is best for you.
PROCESS: The skin is thoroughly cleansed with an agent that removes excess oils, and the eyes and hair are protected. One or more chemical solutions, such as glycolic acid, salicylic acid, lactic acid, or carbolic are applied to the skin. After a number of hours the solution can be washed off.
TIME: The procedure takes about 30 minutes to a hour.
FINISHING: After the procedure you might notice redness and swelling for the first few hours after the treatment, this is normal.
NUMBER OF TREATMENTS NEEDED: Results can last from 6 months to a year. With repeated treatments, the results may last longer.
Frequently Asked Questions:
DOES IT HURT?
During a chemical peel, most people feel a burning sensation that lasts about five to ten minutes, followed by a stinging sensation. Putting cool compresses on the skin may ease that stinging. You may need pain medication during or after a deeper peel.
WHEN WILL I SEE RESULTS?
- With Light chemical peels: You’ll see the results when your skin heals, generally within two to three weeks.
- With medium chemical peels: : The new layer of skin appears three to seven days after treatment. About two weeks after treatment, the skin will be fully healed.
- With deep chemical peels: The new layer of skin begins to appear seven to ten days after treatment, though complete healing can take two months or longer.
HOW OFTEN CAN YOU GET CHEMICAL PEELS?
Chemical peels vary in strength and depth so the safest recommendation is to wait to get a peel every four to six weeks. But if you suffer from acne there are some peels that you can do every two weeks until you get the results you want.
ARE THERE ANY SIDE EFFECTS?
Minor swelling and redness may occur, which will subside after a few hours to a couple of days.
WHAT SHOULD I NOT DO BEFORE A CHEMICAL PEEL?
In the week before treatment, do not undergo any other chemical peels, any kind of waxing, laser hair removal procedures or Botox injections. You should also avoid using exfoliating masks or rough, abrasive sponges on your skin.
AFTERCARE OF CHEMICAL PEELS ?
1. Avoid strenuous exercise for 24 hours.
2. Avoid extensive sun or heat such as dry saunas and steam rooms.
3. Wash your face with cool water. Warm or hot water might not feel as good as cool or cold water, which can help soothe post-peel sensations.
4. Moisturize and hydrate.
5. Apply sunscreen with SPF30 or more.
6. Don’t over-exfoliate.
7. Don’t peel the skin off with your own fingers. Using fingers to remove the dead skin can lead to possible scarring.