Laser Hair Removal
If you are tired of shaving, tweezing, or waxing to remove unwanted hair, laser hair removal may be an option worth considering. Common treatment locations include legs, armpits, upper lip, chin, and the bikini line. However, it’s possible to treat unwanted hair in nearly any area, except for the eyelid or surrounding area.
During the cosmetic procedure, highly concentrated light is targeted into hair follicles, the melanin in the follicles absorb the light, damaging it and inhibiting further hair growth. Each pulse of the laser takes a fraction of a second and can treat many hairs at the same time while leaving the surrounding skin undamaged.
What does the treatment involve?
CONSULTATION: At the start of any Laser Hair Removal treatment a thorough consultation will take place, where our qualified & experienced technician will examine your skin and hair.
PROCESS: If you are not shaved before your treatment, the technician will shave the area being treated. the reason being is that the laser needs to be able to identify the hair follicle, The laser equipment and power of the machine will then be set according to the color, thickness, and location of your hair being treated as well as your skin color. It is always possible to treat unwanted hair in nearly any area — except the eyes.
TIME: A session can be anywhere between 10 mins to 2 hours, depending on the area being treated.
FINISHING: After the procedure. You might notice redness and swell for the first few hours after laser hair removal, this is normal. To reduce any discomfort, we will apply Aloe Vera or Elica to the treated area to help decrease swelling and redness.
NUMBER OF TREATMENTS NEEDED: number of sessions may vary from patient to patient depending on hair type and colour. Usually clients will need about six to eight treatments spaced three weeks apart. you will start to see 70 to 80 percent reduction in hair growth. For best results, get maintenance treatments done every six to twelve months.
Frequently Asked Questions:
DOES IT HURT?
A lot of people compare the pain to the feeling of having a rubber band snapped against the skin, and many note a reduction in pain with each subsequent treatment as hair becomes less and thinner.
WHEN WILL I SEE RESULTS?
Some results will be noticeable from 1 – 2 weeks following the first treatment. Results will become more noticeable after each treatment.
AFTERCARE OF LASER HAIR REMOVAL?
1. Avoid the sun for 7 days after the procedure.No Tanning.
2. If the skin is sensitive or irritated you may use over the counter (OTC) medicine such as Tylenol
3. Avoid any other type of skin treatment for 2 weeks after the procedure
4. Apply sunscreen daily, at least 30+ SPF.
5. Do not wax, pluck or otherwise remove the hair by force, shaving is allowed.
6. Due to skin sensitivity avoid excess heat for 24-48 hours such as hot showers, saunas, hot tubs, or heat packs
7. Avoid make-up, deodorant, or other topical creams or medications for 24 hours
ARE THERE ANY SIDE EFFECTS?
There do not appear to be any long-term health risks associated with the procedure. However, some people may experience minor side effects such as redness and swelling.
AM I A GOOD CANDIDATE FOR LASER HAIR REMOVAL?
The best candidates for Laser hair removal are those who have pale skin and dark hair. The ideal hair type for laser hair removal is dark and coarse. The contrast between light skin and dark hair allows the melanin to be easily targeted.
WHO IS NOT A GOOD CANDIDATE FOR LASER HAIR REMOVAL?
1. Laser hair removal treatments are not recommended for clients who are pregnant or nursing women just as a precaution to not cause harm to their child.
2. Clients taking a drug called Roaccutane should NOT do laser hair removal treatment.
3. Clients with light, fine hair or gray hair do not respond well to laser treatments as they cannot be targeted by the lasers and therefore, cannot be removed with this method.